4.21.2018

Just checking out my new haircut in the reflective window at "The 360" condo project in downtown.


I find self-portraits instructive. I shot one last week and when I took time to look at it objectively I found that my uncut, unkempt hair was making me look like an out of control mad scientist who had recently escaped from a senior living center. That's when you know you're long past due for a decent haircut...

I've always been self-conscious about taking photos of myself but I do it anyway because it constitutes a visual feedback loop that's different from a quick glance in the bathroom mirror.

As I continue to regress in my camera selection I'm guessing I should go out int search of reflective windows so I can see how I look sporting an enormous, and anachronistic, camera+lens around with me on a daily basis. The photographic results might constitute the most compelling reason yet to toss the old DSLRs back into a drawer and pull the svelte m4:3 cameras out for a bit....


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kirk,

So no explanation of what's going on with the right foot!? Is this some new trending selfie pose that I'm not familiar with. And I'm not familiar with a lot. Just curious but it does make for an interesting SP, that's trending for Self Portrait. But I agree with you about reflections in a window, it gives you a more realistic idea of what you look like in the wild, instead of those horrible bathroom mirrors. Also can't see the camera. What?

Doug

Anonymous said...

Ah! Apparently just some odd reflection, it looked like for a minute you had your foot out of your shoe with your sock off. That would be weird! You don't do you? Nice hair tho!


Doug

Michael Matthews said...

More to the point, he appears to have encased those feet in a set of Merrell Moab Ventilators. Are those the originals — congruent with the camera choice — or the newer Vent 2? As with camera bags, the world of internet influencers...and influencees...finds this sort of thing extremely important.

Frank Grygier said...

A leaf blowing in the wind.

Wally said...

To shake things up part your hair on the other side!

Morgan said...

Hi Kirk,

I find it interesting that you label the camera/lens combo anachronistic... surely the humble SLR is not completely eclipsed in the present day? Perhaps though, this is your point entirely.