3.24.2016

What's on the agenda for today? Oh, that's right, I get to give a presentation to the Photographers of Dripping Springs. Yikes! I'd better get organized...


You all know me as a lovable and Quixotic blogger, sequestered in my little studio, typing out opinions about photography and swimming to a vast, and nearly anonymous, audience. Tonight I'll venture out of my comfortable comfort zone and confront all my darkest fears as I give a bout of public speaking a try.

I've been invited to speak at the monthly meeting of the Photographers of Dripping Springs, in Dripping Springs, Texas. I rarely do this sort of thing now but I thought I'd give it the old college try. I'm taking a lot for granted but then, so are they. I'll probably start with a nervous synopsis of where I am today and how I got myself into this messy career. Then, of course, I'll be seized by stage fright and default to the usual photographer's dodge, which is to show a series of unrelated images, curated in an attempt to impress my audience in any way that I can.

I'll hem and haw through a disjointed slide show, adding in gratuitous comments and trying to make jokes. Hopefully the audience will reward me with at least a few dry chuckles...

After that, to atone for the slog through my visual yesteryear, I'll try to cobble together a demo on the way I like to shoot portraits. I wish I knew how I really liked to shoot portraits because that would make the demonstration more compelling. Right now I'm kind of planning on falling back to the ole giant modifier, continuous light, used close in, dodge. To that end I'm packing some LEDs on the premise that, well, I wrote a book about LEDs and maybe I should walk the walk.

If history is any measure then the demo will be a disaster. Something won't turn on, the overhead lights will be controlled somewhere outside our powers and we won't be able to extinguish them so people can see the effects I'm desperately trying to show.

Then we'll wind down and the two or three people who've managed to fight off boredom for the duration of my humbling public speaking engagement will politely ask if they can help me pack. It's inevitable because they'll see me struggling to pull down scrims without everything coming down in a cascade of chaos and damaging the windows or furniture.

It all sounds dreadful for the audience. So what's in it for me? Well, my therapist believes in exposure therapy..... and there was the promise of a free dinner...

See their website for details: http://photographersofds.us




12 comments:

Tom Judd said...

Ah, brimming with confidence as usual Kirk!
Break a leg. You'll be great and the club is
in for a treat.

Peter Knott said...

And in City Hall no less!

Gato said...

First, I'm sure you'll put on a great presentation and I wish I could be there to see it.

Second, I enjoy this kind of post. It is good to know I am not the only with a near-paranoid belief in Murphy's Law. And this is really good stuff for the less experienced photographers -- whether you are writing about a presentation or a photography job. A professional always needs to have a backup plan ready.

amolitor said...

"Absolutely not!"

"We'll feed ya."

"OK!"

It's pretty much my philosophy of life.

Bill Bresler said...

You're completely screwed. Perhap you have an unavoidable last-minute assignment in Uzbekistan?

Alan Fairley said...

And in the middle of the presentation you'll look down and realize you forgot to put on your pants!

Anonymous said...

As a largely anonymous reader I would like to tell you how much this piece made me smile.

And having kicked myself to finally write a comment - As a rather typical European greenish liberal I enjoy a voice from Texas proving that European stereotypes about the US, and in particular about Texas, are no better then their American conterparts.

Anonymous said...


Thank you for carving out the time to speak to PODS last night.

Loved the backstory and the lighting visual!




Yes, you impressed us.
-PODS member

MartinP said...

At first I assumed that Dripping Springs must be an imaginary place that is visible only from ones car during rainstorms . . . but no, it (or their website anyway) appears to exist!

I hope that it went well, but note that they forgot to mention The Lisbon Portfolio in their online intro. Oops.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi MartinP, Did you mean "The Lisbon Portfolio" ? The novel featuring super photographer/spy Henry White? Available inexpensively as an Amazon Kindle book for about the price of a Venti Latté at Starbucks? The one with 466 action packed pages? Also available in paperback, should you run into the author and want it signed? Would that be "The Lisbon Portfolio" novel that's wracked up 33 five star reviews? Oh, that one! Thanks for mentioning it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisbon-Portfolio-Henry-White-Portfolios-ebook/dp/B00L1WNKUS

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Dripping Springs is just west of Austin in Hwy. 290, on the way to Johnson City and Fredericksburg. It's a haven for people escaping from or retiring from the endless growth and traffic of Austin. The photo club is fun, engaging and very well run and we all seemed to have a very good time. I'd go back.

Fred said...

I laughed when I read the post and decided it might only encourage Mr. Murphy, if I commented before you left for the PODS meeting. I went to a talk Wednesday night at my local library. The poor guy giving the talk made sure that he got there early but it took the library staff until quarter to eight to get the wireless projector (attached to the ceiling), the second laptop that they tried, and the power point software all up and working together for a seven o'clock talk.

I'm glad your event worked out better.