1.16.2016

Style in photography is really just the process of becoming more and more comfortable with the way you like to do things.


Photograph done for a marketing project with a Theater in Austin. We were promoting a play for Live Oak Theater. The play was set in Texas in the 1930's or 1940's. I was trying to both do my style of lighting and portraiture but also to give a nod to the tools of the day. I used a number of small, fresnel lensed, tungsten spotlights to do the lighting. The edge effects and softness of the image on the sides and in the corners was done with a device used under the enlarger lens, in the darkroom.

When I did the project for the theater I ended up hand coloring the final image and we hung a show of the had colored work of the entire staff in the theater's lobby. They are still some of my favorite images.

There is something special about using low output, continuous light. I won't try to define it but I see a difference between the longer exposures and the kind of look I get from using electronic flash. 

1 comment:

Rufus said...

I've seen this portrait before and every time I do, I admire it.

The style, composition, processing, all perfect. It has that "in -period", timeless air that really nails the objective in my opinion.

The guys expression has that element of being " in character", and the image itself supports it. Could have been taken a long, long time ago.

Nice.