9.28.2013

Phoning it in.


I'm in Denver working on camera as an instructor for Craftsy.com this week. I got here on Weds. and I'll be here until Thurs. morning. Teaching photography this way is fun and rewarding. I love the process and every time I do a class on the opposite side of the camera (the talent side) I learn more about the art of making great video and I get to be on the receiving end of good direction. I'm paying attention to the work done by a great camera crew and learning the fine points of gracefully transitioning between scenes. 

In the evenings, after a twelve hour day, I come back to my hotel, have dinner and try to chill out. I was looking at the photographs on my iPhone this evening and I found this one of Belinda that I'd taken at the W Hotel during some party or celebration last year. I know it's just "phoning it in" but I enjoyed having a forgotten photograph of my wonderful wife turn up out of nowhere. Makes me realize how lucky I am.

And I feel lucky in my career as well. The people at Craftsy.com are reminding me that I'm sharing thirty years of valuable experience with a whole new generation of image makers and that feels great. 

So, a week in Berlin then a week in Denver. At the end of the month of October I'll be spending the better part of a week at the Photo Plus Show in NYC. I guess the industry is not slowing down as quickly as rumor would have it. That's okay with me. I'm having the time of my life.


5 comments:

wjl (Wolfgang Lonien) said...

A wonderful photo Kirk - phone or not, that doesn't matter one tiny bit.

EZ said...

Those eyes... Oh my, those eyes. Beautiful!

EZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glen Birdie said...

I was actually in Denver this past week myself, by chance overlapping with your workshop. I had all intentions of playing extreme fanboy and attending the workshop more or less just so I could meet you (you've been an enormous motivational influence in getting my own photography business off the ground in the past 2 years). Alas, the opportunity was missed when I managed to completely destroy my leg falling down while on the top of Pike's Peak and discovering the hard way that a 10,000 foot altitude change really makes swelling unbearable, so whoops there. Here's to hoping I get another chance opportunity in the future to attend a workshop of yours and learn from your workflow (else I guess I'll just have to seek you out the next time you're within a day's drive). :P

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo of Belinda. And you have a good life, sometimes hard but for sure interesting. As a simple amateur I can only thank you for sharing your thoughts and your ideas. VSL helps in keeping me motivated when it seems I'll be not able to reach the goals I proposed for myself and maybe I only need to work harder! Grazie
robert