1.04.2013

Happy Hour Shoot at Manuel's Restaurant.



About a year ago we did the photography (and a little video) for restaurant website. My advertising agency client did a nice job filling the restaurant with representative talent and I was left to do my favorite kind of advertising shoot. I asked the restaurant to serve everyone whatever they wanted, I waited for the first round of margaritas to be vanquished and then, by dint of just hanging out with my camera, I became invisible to everyone under 30 and began to shoot from whatever vantage point I wanted. We had a nicely populated restaurant and I shot whatever looked good. Sometimes I would prompt our "actors" or ask them to repeat a movement or expression that looked especially nice but most of the time I just stood back, or down, and snapped away.

All of the images we produced for the website were done in color and delivered in color. But sometimes I like to strip away the color and see what the frames really look like.

This was one of the last jobs I shot with the Canon 5D mk2 and the Canon 1DSmk2 cameras. I worked mostly with the Zeiss 85mm and 50mm lenses. The images above were shot with what was arguably the best of the Zeiss lenses for the Canons, the 35mm f2. I added a bit of grain in post processing because the files looked too "clean."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First one wins for me. More life like.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff. But I didn't think it was a contest to name the best frame.... They are both great.

Unknown said...

"My advertising agency client did a nice job filling the restaurant with representative talent" is code for "send out an office email asking employees to invite their 20-something friends to a free meal. But they have to dress nice and sign a model release."